As a business coach, I always ask my clients about their health, and how their families are doing. One reason is that I care about them and their health. The second reason is to see how they and their family are doing.
You see, in my first company that grew from Zero to $35,000,000 in sales in five years, I was working 50-70 hours per week and gained 60 pounds. I was a heart attack waiting to happen. My family, my friends and my health suffered.
It is alone at the top! Overwhelmingly, most Inc. 5000 winners (71% of us) are positive in their daily outlook. In other words, we like people and the interaction. Our teams need us, our positive energy, and excitement.
The disconnect is: in running a company, taking care of our kids, our spouse, we ourselves get drained. It gets harder and harder, the faster and faster we grow our companies.
Take Care of #1: Here are tools to help you stay in the game, while not ruining your health and relationships. If you are not happy and healthy, then how can you be good for your company and your family.
You’ve heard these before,
but when are you going to take them to heart and do something about it?
- Join a Peer Group, Executive Round Table or Forum: It’s like having a private board of advisors. (Greatest perceived benefit for members of the Young Presidents Organization.)
- Steel Sharpens Steel! Surround yourself with people who challenge you to be your best.
- Carve out 30-60 minutes per day for yourself. Read, meditate, think, journal, call a friend or loved one.
- Exercise: 30 minutes per day (think of how you can do it, not how you cannot do it). It’s easy! Do two sets of push-ups, two sets of sit-ups, two sets of squats and two sets of leg lifts, with a small interval between each and you are done. Go for a brisk walk at lunch.
- Go to the doctor regularly! Establish baselines. If you don’t know where you are, how can you take care of yourself.
- Change your diet: Belly fat is a significant determination of cardio vascular problems. My daughter and I recently watched “What the Health”, and overnight we changed to vegetarians.
- Laughter: It’s the best medicine. Find ways to add a little laughter in your life.
- Take 30 seconds every hour and breathe deeply (set an hourly timer).
- Put the damned cell phone down, and turn off the computer! Spend quality time with your kids/spouse:
This is really why we work isn’t it. Your family needs you.
By the way, I am practicing what I preach.